- The first MICHELN tire engineered to meet the specific handling and range requirements of electric sports car owners
- Low road-noise for superior travelling comfort1
- Result of the unique experience acquired by Michelin in Formula E
- An eco-responsible, CO2-neutral tire at the point of sale2
The first MICHELIN tire designed to address the specific demands made by electric sports cars
Due to be released for sale from April 1, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV delivers:
- Optimal grip on dry and wet roads3,4 – irrespective of the tire’s level of wear5 – taking into account the higher weight and weight-distribution characteristics associated with electric sports cars.
- Outstanding resistance to wear6 in respond to the high torque and acceleration forces that typify this type of car.
- The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV’s very low rolling resistance extends range by up to 60 kilometres to enable drivers to enjoy the potential of their electric sports car to the full7.
- Twenty-percent less perceptible road noise thanks to MICHELIN Acoustic TM technology which takes the form of a custom-developed polyurethane foam that reduces cabin noise for even greater enjoyment behind the wheel of electric vehicles1.
The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV is the result of the unique experience Michelin has acquired in Formula E
A founding partner of Formula E, Michelin proposed a specific solution for the championship’s all-electric single-seaters that is similar in its concept to a road tire. The Michelin Formula E tire is effectively capable of racing whatever the weather conditions, while its size – 19 inches – is consistent with current road-car norms.
The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV benefits directly from the progress Michelin has achieved over six seasons in Formula E and incorporates ElectricGrip CompoundTM technology which features a hard compound for the centre of the tread to provide the grip required to cope with the high torque characteristics of electric sports cars. Meanwhile, the sidewalls of the latest addition to the MICHELIN Pilot Sport family carry over the same pattern and velvet-finish markings of Michelin’s Formula E tire.
An eco-responsible, CO2-neutral tire at the point of sale2
In order to achieve carbon neutrality throughout the life of its tire and address the demands of electric sports car owners, Michelin has pledged to neutralise the CO2 emissions associated with the tire’s production and transport to its point of sale. This process includes the financing of projects aimed at offsetting and absorbing the residual CO2 emissions associated with tire production through the Livelihoods carbon fund until the day comes when it will be possible to eliminate them entirely.
Michelin is currently the only manufacturer that is active in the original-equipment and replacement electric sports car tire market. The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV will be rolled out in the course of 2021 in a choice of 16 sizes (original equipment: 11 sizes / replacement market: 5 sizes) for 18- to 22-inch rims.
Twenty-inch MICHELIN Pilot Sport EVs have been type-approved for the new Tesla Model Y which is already marketed in China. As well, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV will be a global tire and will be available on vehicles in Europe and North America later in 2021.
By 2024, Michelin plans to increase its sales in this high-growth market by a factor of eight.